Most people have height-adjustable tables in their office workplace. However, such a large proportion (around 80%) still sit down and work. The most likely reason for this is that you are not used to standing, and your legs, back and feet hurt when you stand up. Moreover, there is little awareness of the benefits of standing and the dangers of sitting too much. When you stand up and work for long periods, it’s good to relieve your body with a workplace mat.
Get up and get to work. Live longer and feel better.
By standing up and working, instead of sitting, you will experience many positive health benefits. Research shows that standing for three hours per working day for a month is equivalent to running a marathon in calories burned.
Variety is key
The benefits of variety and standing up and working for parts of the day are many. It increases blood circulation, makes you more alert and productive and improves your posture. Some tips for getting started with standing are to start the day standing, raising your table the last thing you do when you leave for the day. Getting up after lunch is also a good idea to avoid the tiredness that can set in after eating.
- Standing reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
- You will make better use of your exercise if you also stand up and work.
- You will be more alert and able to concentrate better.
- The risk of repetitive strain injuries to the back and neck is reduced.
- Increased calorie consumption – standing for three hours per working day for a month is equivalent to running a marathon in calories burned compared to sitting.
- A soft mat helps you stand longer.